|Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences was established on March 19, 1949. Its original name was the Scientific Research Institute(SRI) of Dalian University. In 1950, SRI was renamed the Dalian Branch Institute (DBI) of the Northeastern Scientific Research Institute.
In 1952, DBI was merged into the Chinese Academy of Sciences(CAS), and was named the Institute of Industrial Chemistry(IIC), CAS.
In 1954, reorganization was undertaken to meet the plans of CAS and the institute undertook research mainly in the chemistry and engineering of petroleum processing. The institute was renamed the Institute of Petroleum(IOP), CAS.
In 1962, the institute was again restructured as a comprehensive and multidisciplinary institute devoted to both basic and applied research, which is the present Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics(DICP), CAS.
Since 1949, the directors of the institute have included the following scientists and educators: Bochuan Qu, Chen Dong, Dayu Zhang, Yijian Gu, Nanquan Lou, Cunhao Zhang, Quan Yuan, Boling Yang, Maicun Deng and Xinhe Bao. The present director is Professor Tao Zhang.